13 January 2009

Reinita Ceilo Azul Reserve, Colombia

After El Paujil Reserve, we went to the Reinita Cielo Azul Reserve, about a day's drive to the northeast. "Reinita Cielo Azul" is spanish for Cerulean Warbler, a species that breeds in North America but has been declining because of loss of its wintering habitat in South America. Just like we missed el Paujil in El Paujil Reserve, we also didn't see any Cerulean Warblers at Reinita Ceilo Azul Reserve. But also like before, we saw many cool birds here. The biggest highlight for me here was the hummingbirds. I saw four species here, including the rare endemic Black Inca (first photo below), the bizarre Booted Racket-tail, the endemic Indigo-capped Hummingbird (second photo below), and the Andean Emerald. Another highlight was a breeding pair of Vermillion Flycatchers, feeding a baby in the nest right in front of our cabin (third photo below).
We had only one full day in this reserve, so the overall diversity of species we saw was not as high as at El Paujil. For example, we saw only one kind of frog and no mammals. But there were more habitat types here, and so the bird list made up for the shortage of other species.



2 comments:

Erika said...

Great pictures!! I'm so impressed since it's so hard (for me anyway!) to get good bird pics. Are you still in Colombia? Thanks for the ID on the Altamira oriole, I was hoping you would jump in and help me out. :) I hope you're having/had a great time traveling! Besos, Erika

Ryan O'Donnell said...

Thanks, Erika! I've been back for a while now, I just haven't had anything I thought was worth posting to the blog since I returned. We did have a wonderful time, though, and I can't wait to go back! I've also enjoyed following your travels on your blog.